Skip to main content

Clowning around


I was having a conversation the other day about how I don't like clowns. I'm attributing this morbid dislike to the Stephen King book IT - but I think it runs deeper than that.

In a curiously random way I was watching a commercial for Halo 3 on Simon Law's blog and it reminded me of the D&AD award winning promo for The Bloody Circus - a week of documentaries in Channel 4 (UK) about the war in Iraq.



I haven't seen Halo on screen - I gather it is a thing of wonder. Never been much of gamer. But it interests me that games make more money than movies. I suppose, if you take Brad and Angelina off the payroll it makes economic sense.

Wasn't Peter Jackson supposed to be making a movie from the game?

It probably was going to star Brangelina - which left nothing in the budget for talent.

C'est la geurre.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Go figure

Took my daughter shopping tonight. We had dinner out. Got back home late. She laid her new clothes out in neat rows so she could choose what to wear for tomorrow. She's 5. I see her just every second weekend. How can such incredible errors of judgement (marrying my daughter's mother) result in such a wonderful little human being? Go figure

Mac Air Music

I love the idea of the Mac Air but, call me old fashioned, …no disk drive? How will I watch Ratatouille, Toy Story, The Incredibles, Finding Nemo, Cars and A Bug's Life on DVD? The music on the MacAir launch commercial is terrific. I tracked the artiste Yael Naim's video for you. What is the name for this genre (Regina Spectre et al)? Apparently Steve Jobs chose the track personally for the TVC. Order from Amazon: Splash out:

Sexist Advertising and stereotypes

Advertising lives in the short-form world. Because mass media is so expensive the 30 second commercial is conventional and because there is so much clutter simplified signals are essential to 'cut through'. One form of communication short-hand used as a default is the stereotype - "A stereotype can be a conventional and oversimplified conception, opinion, or image, based on the assumption that there are attributes that members of the "other group" have in common. Stereotypes are sometimes formed by a previous illusory correlation, a false association between two variables that are loosely correlated if correlated at all. Though generally viewed as negative perceptions, stereotypes may be either positive or negative in tone." In the 1950's and 60's when men dominated advertising stereotypical impressions of women as inferior or subservient were not only commonplace but usual. It was normal to show women as housekeepers, largely because most wer...