Skip to main content

ThoughtSpurs (again-the sequal)

"In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switerzland they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace, and what did they produce? The cuckoo clock."


Orson Welles in The Third Man

I like this quote. Not only because it's smart and funny but because it get's me thinking about the role of conflict in creativity and innovation.

When I was working with the team at Idealog on prototyping our baby there was an occasion I have sworn never to talk about in detail. So I won't. But it involved conflict with a contributor who felt so passionately about her work that she…well I can't tell you what she did. But, needless to say I will never forget it. I have worked in hotbeds of creativity before but I have never had any body (deleted) me before.

I loved it. Inspite of the shock. Why?… For crying out loud she cared!
(About the wrong thing, I have to say- "That took me an hour,…I did what was asked of me… so you should love it...")

Don't be afraid of conflict.
Don't suppress it.
Don't (supressed, …becasue I said i wouldn't ever reveal it) though.
Enjoy the fact that other people think different to you.
Embrace it.
Otherwise you'll simply live a template,what other people think you should do,…not an authentic life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Go figure

Took my daughter shopping tonight. We had dinner out. Got back home late. She laid her new clothes out in neat rows so she could choose what to wear for tomorrow. She's 5. I see her just every second weekend. How can such incredible errors of judgement (marrying my daughter's mother) result in such a wonderful little human being? Go figure

Sexist Advertising and stereotypes

Advertising lives in the short-form world. Because mass media is so expensive the 30 second commercial is conventional and because there is so much clutter simplified signals are essential to 'cut through'. One form of communication short-hand used as a default is the stereotype - "A stereotype can be a conventional and oversimplified conception, opinion, or image, based on the assumption that there are attributes that members of the "other group" have in common. Stereotypes are sometimes formed by a previous illusory correlation, a false association between two variables that are loosely correlated if correlated at all. Though generally viewed as negative perceptions, stereotypes may be either positive or negative in tone." In the 1950's and 60's when men dominated advertising stereotypical impressions of women as inferior or subservient were not only commonplace but usual. It was normal to show women as housekeepers, largely because most wer...

Mac Air Music

I love the idea of the Mac Air but, call me old fashioned, …no disk drive? How will I watch Ratatouille, Toy Story, The Incredibles, Finding Nemo, Cars and A Bug's Life on DVD? The music on the MacAir launch commercial is terrific. I tracked the artiste Yael Naim's video for you. What is the name for this genre (Regina Spectre et al)? Apparently Steve Jobs chose the track personally for the TVC. Order from Amazon: Splash out: