Skip to main content

Started with nothing -still have most of it left



Some people ask me why I traded the comfortable life of an ad agency for unpredictable businesses and roles. This clip says it pretty well. (with thanks to UK planner Russell Davies) who seems to feel the same way...(and keeps up a superb blog - he is to communications planning what Thomas Mahon is to bespoke, Saville Row tailoring )(I kid you not)-both brilliant insights into their respective crafts, both very authentic.

Spoke at the first Congress of the The Council for the Humanities / Te Whainga Aronui ("to promote the regognition and value of the humanities/aronui in the creation and transmission of knowledge essential to personal well-being and the cultural, social and economic development of Aotearoa/New Zealand"). My topic was the Unknowledge Economy yesterday. I'll post the text once I have edited if for the web. Next formal engagement is the conference of the nation's school guidance councillors...I think the topic might be Successful Failure

I am struggling with taking a punt an posting some video blogs. Written blogs can be revealing enough.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Go figure

Took my daughter shopping tonight. We had dinner out. Got back home late. She laid her new clothes out in neat rows so she could choose what to wear for tomorrow. She's 5. I see her just every second weekend. How can such incredible errors of judgement (marrying my daughter's mother) result in such a wonderful little human being? Go figure

Sexist Advertising and stereotypes

Advertising lives in the short-form world. Because mass media is so expensive the 30 second commercial is conventional and because there is so much clutter simplified signals are essential to 'cut through'. One form of communication short-hand used as a default is the stereotype - "A stereotype can be a conventional and oversimplified conception, opinion, or image, based on the assumption that there are attributes that members of the "other group" have in common. Stereotypes are sometimes formed by a previous illusory correlation, a false association between two variables that are loosely correlated if correlated at all. Though generally viewed as negative perceptions, stereotypes may be either positive or negative in tone." In the 1950's and 60's when men dominated advertising stereotypical impressions of women as inferior or subservient were not only commonplace but usual. It was normal to show women as housekeepers, largely because most wer...

Mac Air Music

I love the idea of the Mac Air but, call me old fashioned, …no disk drive? How will I watch Ratatouille, Toy Story, The Incredibles, Finding Nemo, Cars and A Bug's Life on DVD? The music on the MacAir launch commercial is terrific. I tracked the artiste Yael Naim's video for you. What is the name for this genre (Regina Spectre et al)? Apparently Steve Jobs chose the track personally for the TVC. Order from Amazon: Splash out: